Go Back   CGFeedback > CG Forums > Finished Works... at last!!!

Finished Works... at last!!! Completed 2D and 3D works

Old 15-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
Kel Solaar
Pixel Bender
Points: 37,005, Level: 100 Points: 37,005, Level: 100 Points: 37,005, Level: 100
Activity: 79% Activity: 79% Activity: 79%

Company: The Moving Picture Company
Default Naruto Tribute - Tendo - The Six Paths Of Pain - ペイン六道 Pein Rikudō

Naruto Tribute - Tendo - The Six Paths Of Pain - ペイン六道 Pein Rikudō

Hello,

I'm fairly happy ( excited in fact ) today because I have finished the three illustrations I wanted to do as a tribute to the fabulous work Masashi Kishimoto is doing with Naruto.

So here is Pein. Pein is a very special character in Naruto. Don't read after if you don't wanna get spoiled

[Begin Spoiler]

First let me introduce the Akatsuki : A criminal organization composed of ten high-level ninja that have defected from their village of origin. The Akatsuki goal is to take control over the nine powerful tailed daemons so that they can dominate over the world and stop the endless ninja wars.

Pein is the Akatsuki leader, the only thing we see from him in the development of the story is Deva Pain ( The character I actually did ). Pein has the Rinnegan, the unique eye technique possessed by the Sage of the Six Paths ( He was said to have created the Moon with it ).

At some point, Jiraya ( One the "Legendary Three Ninja" and master of Naruto ) will do a recon mission to the Rain Village with the purpose of gathering informations about Pein. At the price of his life he will discover that Pein has not one avatar but six of them. He is in fact an entity composed of 6 bodies, each one with different abilities.

The character I chose for my images is Tendo ( Deva Pain ).

I have planned to do the 6 Pein but considering the time I took to do one, I'll postpone that for later

If you wanna to know more about that story, I can only recommend you watching the anime !
[End Spoiler]

Notice that I took a lot of liberties in term of appearance, and the Jutsus depicted are not accurate or whatever. If I wanted to be 100% accurate it would be a NPR contour rendering. Also the grading is not meant to be coherent between the images.
Everything done with Arnold of course

So here are the pictures :

Tendo in a devastated street of Konoha ( There is Naruto's house in the background ).

Tendo middle of what's left of Konoha after he used the Shinra Tensei Jutsu.

Tendo with the forming sphere from the Chibaku Tensei Jutsu.

and here are the Sets, without the depth of field ( and different grading )

and finally my avatar ( now you understand where it was coming from :] ) :

This is my first revision of Tendo, in the future, when it will be easier to handle cloth, rig and hair, I'll upgrade the character and do his friends

Credits goes also to Bob Groothuis who gave me his wonderfull IBL Sets that were used to light the scenes and for the skies : http://www.bobgroothuis.com/

Credits also to my girlfriend that gave me ideas and the necessary stand back when you have the head in the handlebar .

Hope you have the same fun watching those pictures than the one I had doing them ( Even if it was very exhausting ).

Thomas

PS : I'll add various ZBrush, XSI scene shots, etc ... tomorrow or a bit later this week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Akatsuki.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	401.9 KB
ID:	3621  

Last edited by Kel Solaar; 15-11-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Kel Solaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
Infinite
3D Mechanic
Points: 139,718, Level: 100 Points: 139,718, Level: 100 Points: 139,718, Level: 100
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Company: Infinite-Realities

Stunning work Kel, really detailed. Jaw dropping details in fact : )

Really shows off the power of Arnold! Can't wait to see some breakdown shots, when you have time.

You must have put allot of time and energy into this and it paid off!

Infinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
MJG
Points: 3,894, Level: 39 Points: 3,894, Level: 39 Points: 3,894, Level: 39
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

whoa! this is soo nuts. i love me some naruto and i simply love these renders.

probably the best adaption iv seen from 2d anime to 3d. you nailed it perfectly. well done.

how did you do the cloth and this is all rendered with arnold? is that out yet or?
MJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
Kel Solaar
Pixel Bender
Points: 37,005, Level: 100 Points: 37,005, Level: 100 Points: 37,005, Level: 100

Infinite : Cheers mate I'm glad you like them ! It took more time than expected for sure ! From what I remember, I spent the august month full time ( I was on holidays ) then I worked nights after the work and weekends up to the 5 minutes before the post.

MJG : I'm so happy about what you said, it means that the character is working and this very rewarding Most of the charism is coming from the great character design by Masashi Kishimoto
The cloth is done with Maya / Ncloth and then a refinement pass in ZBrush. It was fairly tricky and long to simulate a large cloak like this. Everything except the fluids and some particles effects I was lazy ( or lacking of knowledge with ICE ) was done with Arnold. The puppy is unfortunately not out yet

KS

Last edited by Kel Solaar; 15-11-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 15-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
b0mbyx
Points: 2,252, Level: 28 Points: 2,252, Level: 28 Points: 2,252, Level: 28
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

well..... incredibly consistent work back to front .No aspect of the final image gets left behind, so in the end, as its been said, jaw dropping it is .
Nice to finally see these images out, and now in my inspiration folder
I like it a lot, and they really show you got a pretty neat worflow mate .I mean, you can model, texture, simulate cloth, handle particles, render, comp, and in the end what you give us is not a tech demo, but beautiful pics .That's talent .
PS I looooove the environments
Cheers
b0mbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 11:48 PM   #6
NZO
Points: 21,999, Level: 92 Points: 21,999, Level: 92 Points: 21,999, Level: 92
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Company: Dneg

Really Nice work Kel !

Your textures are amazing ! Everything is very accurate. I think you've done high level in different domain (Cloth, FX, modelling, rendering, ect..)

I have just one reserve on the hand. It missing some details on the fingers, and the fat of the palm. maybe the posing of the hand seems not very natural, specialy on the side view.

Otherwise it's impressive !

NZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 11:51 PM   #7
tonytrout
Veteran
Points: 83,120, Level: 100 Points: 83,120, Level: 100 Points: 83,120, Level: 100
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

i understand the avatar now . very wonderful detail, and that Arnold sure looks nice
tonytrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 05:06 AM   #8
TMO
Points: 1,547, Level: 22 Points: 1,547, Level: 22 Points: 1,547, Level: 22

Company: MPC

Hi Kel,

really nice works! Love it!
As usual, your renders are incredibles!
The rocks, clothes.. pfiuuuuuuuuuu.... Magnificient!!!
I am looking forward to play again with Arnold
This render engine is amazing.

See you soon mate

ps: ca poutre venere!
TMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #9
Kel Solaar
Pixel Bender

Ben : Thanks for the kind words I hope to see some of your work here soon !

Nzo : Thank you mate, coming from you it means a lot ! I totally agree on the hand, I have been a bit lazy on it. I'll definitely fix that in the next revision of the character, making them stronger and more solid ( Though I'll try to keep the kind of grace they have at the moment ) !

Tonytrout : Thanks !

Thomas : Thanks taking time writing a comment ! Hope you are fine up there in London

I'll post a first breakdown for Tendo in a few ( Modeling / Cloth / Hair), there will be quite a few viewport grabs.

KS
Old 16-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #10
StephaneD
Points: 4,130, Level: 40 Points: 4,130, Level: 40 Points: 4,130, Level: 40

hey tom nice to see what you finally came up with !
it is brilliant on all level, which is a very rare quality
only things bothered me a little is on the hand modeling as nzo pointed, the lack of fat under the thumb is a little strange but you already know that.
otherewise I love the ambiances, colors and especiallt the sick work on the background which brings alot ! its all good
can't wait to see the next one
StephaneD is offline   Reply With Quote