Go Back   CGFeedback > CG Challenges > First Contact Challenge > 3D Submissions

Old 23-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
Neural
Points: 205, Level: 4 Points: 205, Level: 4 Points: 205, Level: 4
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Company: home
Default First Contact / Neural

Hi.
I'm completely new here, and as nervous as I am, I figured I'd at least enter the contest to push my knowledge limits with my software.
My first thought on the "First Contact" idea when I read the details was an image of a giant laser beam hitting the earth.
However, while this is technically "first contact", I don't know that it details how exactly we would react. I think the idea was born more of a frustration with the worn out plot of "aliens come to earth claiming peace and benevolence, then try to kill us".

My second idea however goes all the way back to my childhood. I once had a wart or two on my index finger, and while my mother, a nurse, educated me on what they were, I still had this fantasy in my mind about what warts really were. I knew they were NOT aliens, but in my mind I played with that idea.

So my concept here is simple. An image of one of these parasitic aliens being held in a pair of tweezers after having been extracted from someones hand. This "disturbing image" (haha) will be inset on a sort of "this just in" news screen, with a side bar displaying what little info humans have on the creatures. Meanwhile the scrolling text at the bottom in the still image will have some comment about widespread panic or hospitals being flooded with panicked individuals.

It's not all completely together in my mind yet, and I would like to know if using Photoshop for the TV/News overlays is acceptable, even though the focus of it all is a 3d image.

I know it's not as extensive and elaborate as a lot of the other entries, but I figured I'd try and see where it goes.

Concept sketch:

Neural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
Neural

I haven't really played with organic sculpting until today. It's enjoyable when it can be abstract like this. Anyway, progress so far on the alien itself:

Old 27-03-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
tonytrout
Veteran
Points: 117,190, Level: 100 Points: 117,190, Level: 100 Points: 117,190, Level: 100
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Looking suitably xenomorphic, look forward to more
tonytrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 07:46 AM   #4
Neural

Thanks.

Glad to see that the deadline was extended. I wasn't sure I'd make it. I'm not quite as fast with this stuff as the rest of the users here.

I do have to say it's been a bit gross researching this one in regards to textures and form.