advertise

Go Back   CGFeedback > CG Forums > WIP - 3D - Feedback needed!

WIP - 3D - Feedback needed! Where people post their 3D WIP works

Old 06-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #1
Jase82
Points: 120, Level: 2 Points: 120, Level: 2 Points: 120, Level: 2
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Default Carnival Scene, Needs Help

Hello All,

I'm struggling with this project, and although there are many areas to critique, I would like to focus on lighting and composition at this point. There is no reference and I debated heavily between an abandoned or vibrant scene. My biggest issue is that I have no experience with outdoor shots, and I am using RenderMan for Maya - which I am learning as I go.

That being said, I currently have a dome light being used with an HDR, but it looks so grainy in the background that I added the fog and paint fx foliage to mask out the problem areas.

I think another important challenge is the scale of this scene; it is massive and everything is very spaced apart. I wonder if scaling everything down and shrinking the size of the dome might help with the grain, but that brings me to the composition side. Maybe it is because I have stared at it for too long, but I am feeling less confident about the composition. If I stick with the setup I definitely want to pull everything in tighter so my textures will actually read to the camera.

In the back of my mind I am still wondering if I should just go for the abandoned look instead...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TheCarnival_Start.0073.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	30166  
Jase82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 12:59 AM   #2
lucasweij
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Hi Jase,

I have trouble focusing on any part of your render. There isn't really a point of interest. Composition should lead the eye through your art piece. A good composition makes you wonder through the art piece without being confused where to look at.

I know ctrl+paint has a good free video tutorial about it. Try doing some research about principles of design. https://www.ctrlpaint.com/library/ Try looking here, under composition basics. That will help out a lot.
lucasweij is offline   Reply With Quote