advertise

Go Back   CGFeedback > CG Forums > WIP - 3D - Feedback needed!

WIP - 3D - Feedback needed! Where people post their 3D WIP works

Old 27-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
fclem
Points: 583, Level: 11 Points: 583, Level: 11 Points: 583, Level: 11
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Avatar Character

Hello !

As I'm new here, I will first present myself :

I'm Clement, 19, I live in Bordeaux ( France ) and I'm a student in Electrical engineering.
I practice 3D since 2005 but only making some objects in video games Titanic Turkish Baths
Ski Lift by example).

The WIP model I want to post here represent the female character from the movie "Avatar".

It was make in 3dsmax5 using the "surface" mod. I actually have some problems with the braid hairs, it's impossible to have something satisfactory.

PS : This one of my first CG of a face, especially using the spline/surfacing methode so please don't hang me about the disputable (triangular) meshing....
And sorry for the English, if I made a mistake please tell me, it's never too late to learn !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avatarlittle.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	168  

Last edited by fclem; 27-12-2009 at 11:13 AM.
fclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
PascalR
Administrator
Points: 394,827, Level: 100 Points: 394,827, Level: 100 Points: 394,827, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Company: Industrial Light and Magic
Member Photo Albums

Hey Clement, here

Peter Syomka would be the best person to answer this post , as he actually modelled Neytiri's face
But as far as I can see (not easy with only half the face) the nose bridge is too sharp, the upper eyelid too thick, and I would try to look for some photos of the actress who plays Neytiri for the mouth area (Zoe Zaldana).
Keep it up Bon courage

P.

Please attach an image (could be small) to your first post, so it displays as a thread thumbnail.

Make sure to post the references you've used if you're looking for hardcore feedback!

PascalR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 03:15 AM   #3
fclem

Hi !

Thanks for your remarks Pascal, I will try to apply some mods ASAP.

I quickly made the symetry to have a better assessment of the general shape.

There are something wrong with the nose. Is it too narrow ?

Ah....
Before I leave I would transmit all my congratulations for the amazing work done by your team in this movie ( and the other ones by the way ). Astounding!

See ya!

Last edited by fclem; 29-12-2009 at 06:22 AM.
Old 28-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
ViCoX
Points: 4,953, Level: 45 Points: 4,953, Level: 45 Points: 4,953, Level: 45
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Company: Talvi Digital

Hi and welcome to the forums! (My 2nd post) = D

Atm, I cant really say much about the model, as the images are so dark and wires are not showing very well. You should post some clay renders or OGL screenshots with simple shader. (Your latest image is not showing up here)

However I can say couple of words about organic modeling in general and things people usually easily ignore.
(IMO) The most important thing in character modeling is VOLUME and understanding it. Beginners usually start making details way too early in the process and messes up the model, or rather it starts to look flat.
When I start modeling I model the basic proportions and volume(head, chest, major mucles ect.) Then I check and edit the polyflow and lastly do the details. Details are just something on top of the "bigger" volume. (off course even details have volume)

One easy way to model volume is to think it as a cloth/skin that is filled with spheres, boxes and cones. (This also why zspheres are so kickass!)
Peter Paul Rubens said that "you can draw anything using a sphere, box, and cone." Its the same with modeling.

Heres one of my old timelapses done in modo LINK
It has it flaws, but it shows how to model simple character with quite traditional box modeling methods. Learning anatomy is important too and it never ends, . Have fun learning its cool!
Hope this helps somehow : )
ViCoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 07:03 AM   #5
fclem

Hi Vicox

Thank you for your tips .
I think you're right in the sense that I've been too fast in the basic modelisation ; I confess my work wasn't very ordered.
Moreover, making this character wasn't a very good idea to start in organic modelisation,( the face shape isn't very conventional... )...
Not very easy to dread, (nose in particular), as it affects the entire muscular morphology of almost the face.

Now, I will stop the mess and try to make a basic human face shape, I think it will be easier to found a template for this.

Vicox thank you for the link, your model is very pure, it's interesting to see how the meshing is arranged.

Bye! ( and I hope my english is readable )

( Nota : The link above is repaired. I took the occasion to rework the texture )
Old 29-12-2009, 08:59 AM   #6
mjackson126
Points: 7,546, Level: 57 Points: 7,546, Level: 57 Points: 7,546, Level: 57
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

That's a pretty nice Avatar head you have there. One of the better ones I've seen so far. Good job!

marcusjacksonart.com
mjackson126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 03:10 AM   #7
ViCoX
Points: 4,953, Level: 45 Points: 4,953, Level: 45 Points: 4,953, Level: 45
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Company: Talvi Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by fclem View Post
Hi Vicox

Thank you for your tips .
I think you're right in the sense that I've been too fast in the basic modelisation ; I confess my work wasn't very ordered.
Moreover, making this character wasn't a very good idea to start in organic modelisation,( the face shape isn't very conventional... )...
Not very easy to dread, (nose in particular), as it affects the entire muscular morphology of almost the face.

Now, I will stop the mess and try to make a basic human face shape, I think it will be easier to found a template for this.

Vicox thank you for the link, your model is very pure, it's interesting to see how the meshing is arranged.

Bye! ( and I hope my english is readable )

( Nota : The link above is repaired. I took the occasion to rework the texture )
Nice if it helped somehow : )
The latest image looks good so far, good start! I think most of the face looks good, only the eyes seam little flat, they were really "round" in the movie. Like big kitten eyes.
Modeling basic head is great idea you can also "edit" to look like navvi later on, theyre not so different from us. : )
ViCoX is offline   Reply With Quote