advertise

Go Back   CGFeedback > CG Forums > Technical Area

Technical Area Post your technical questions here.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #11
MikeANash
Points: 223,540, Level: 100 Points: 223,540, Level: 100 Points: 223,540, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Send a message via MSN to MikeANash

Nice tips guys

Are the majority of you guys mapping a .hdri onto their environment slot for their reflections mat on the outside of the eye or just on the skylight itself ?

I always seem to get bad reflections from hdri's for some reason.
MikeANash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 04:40 AM   #12
PaulAdams
Points: 9,968, Level: 66 Points: 9,968, Level: 66 Points: 9,968, Level: 66

Company: MPC
Send a message via MSN to PaulAdams

Okay, so along with the shader work how do you guys approach the placement of the eye.

Do you use a rule of thumb for the size of the iris/pupil when using spheres?

I also wonder about the direction - straight ahead always looks wrong and dead, so do you guys rotate them outward at all?
Old 16-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #13
migusan76
Points: 28,051, Level: 98 Points: 28,051, Level: 98 Points: 28,051, Level: 98

Company: America's Army
Send a message via AIM to migusan76 Send a message via MSN to migusan76 Send a message via Yahoo to migusan76

Here are some old renders of my eye setups. I go with the same style modeling setup like you guys. For the shading I'm using mental ray and a custom SSS shader I've developed for it. Awesome Thread!

Old 16-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #14
BrettSinclair
Posting machine
Points: 60,809, Level: 100 Points: 60,809, Level: 100 Points: 60,809, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Company: Freelance modeler

I thought that by now I'd get a boo for not sharing the sss transparency setup:P. Heh. So heres the scene file without the textures, if anyone is interested..

Feel free to test it out. If you make changes for the better it would be cool too see what people do. Its a pretty simple setup at the moment.
Attached Files
File Type: zip EyeSSSTransparency2.zip (29.2 KB, 1107 views)
BrettSinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 07:49 AM   #15
PascalR
Administrator
Points: 394,827, Level: 100 Points: 394,827, Level: 100 Points: 394,827, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Company: Industrial Light and Magic
Member Photo Albums

Thanks for the file Brett, will definitely check it out

Please attach an image (could be small) to your first post, so it displays as a thread thumbnail.

Make sure to post the references you've used if you're looking for hardcore feedback!

PascalR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #16
gal
Points: 7,545, Level: 57 Points: 7,545, Level: 57 Points: 7,545, Level: 57

Company: weta digital

superb thread..
i wanted to point something out not shader/render related but anatomy wise.

i have yet to figure out the correct size/placement/rotation of human eyes but i've done a lot of research on it. i wonder if any of you came to the same conclusions or different ones.

1. seems back of the eye(part facing the brain is squashed and the front as well by just a bit. not a sphere. though it doesnt impact much on the eye setup process.

2. the eyes arent spaced by an "eye" apart but it varies per person? can be from 0.9-1.8 eyes apart, can anyone confirm? meaning the eye size it self varies between people.

3. i read on medical journals the size of the eye cornea/iris can vary by 10% max in every human, meaning there is roughly a specific size that varies only a little bit. but no one seems to agree it's a fact anywhere.

4. if 3 is correct, is there a specific relationship between the iris scale and the eyeball? or does it also vary? how does that connect with 2 then..

5. the eyes are cross-eyed outwards, meaning looking at say mri shots from above you can see without a specific focus each eye is directed outwards
however, when look/talk to people they focus at us, meaning usually people eyes are focused on mid-close objects so they need to be cross-eyed towards not outwards..so how does that work with the natural eye location is outwards?

6. the eye in the eye socket and wrapped with the eye lids does not sit in the center, the iris/pupil seems to be in the center of the eyelids(from left to right) and looking straight the eyeball is exactly behind it centered. but it's not, the eye ball is actually cross-eyed outwards and down, the eyeball is sitting higher and inwards towards the nose so the iris/pupil is actually on the lower outwards off center of the eyeball(i mean the eyeball is rotated to that direction) . i found an old final fantasy wireframe done by..i forgot his name(great modeler).. showing this effect and i never noticed this before i did this research.

perhaps im crazy and eyes are straight but maybe some of these are correct? what do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	head-fig3.jpg
Views:	2107
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1331   Click image for larger version

Name:	eye_distance.jpg
Views:	1373
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	1332  

Last edited by gal; 18-04-2010 at 01:21 PM.
gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:07 AM   #17
BrettSinclair
Posting machine
Points: 60,809, Level: 100 Points: 60,809, Level: 100 Points: 60,809, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Company: Freelance modeler

@gal. Nice observations. I think you answered your own questions .

I'm trying too attach eyelashes too the eyelid for animation purposes in maya. I tried riveting the lashes on, which worked great. But when I finished the one eye lag was really bad and you couldn't really animate it that way.

Does anyone have any ideas of how too attach the lashes? I tried a wrap but it does some funky stuff:P.
BrettSinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #18
arthurduque
Points: 6,504, Level: 52 Points: 6,504, Level: 52 Points: 6,504, Level: 52

Great Topic Very helpfull
Old 04-09-2010, 04:26 AM   #19
Tomala
Points: 4,487, Level: 42 Points: 4,487, Level: 42 Points: 4,487, Level: 42

Gal in fact eye ball is about 2.5cm-2.8cm wide and the distance between centers of the irises is about 6.5 cm. What that mean is the distance between two eyeballs is for sure bigger than one eyeball
When You look at the "eye" you also include conjunctiva and outer eyelashes to overall eye shape and thats why many artists says that distance beetween "eyes" equal one eye, not eyeball.
Tomala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:20 AM   #20
Neox
Points: 1,365, Level: 20 Points: 1,365, Level: 20 Points: 1,365, Level: 20

Send a message via ICQ to Neox Send a message via Skype™ to Neox

Sorry for digging out this old thread, but i've got a question, a rather strange one i guess.
Why is everyone, me including building the iris to be bent inwards? I can't remember when i started doing this but i guess its because i've seen good looking eyes a hell lot of time back, beeing built that way - or maybe it was a tutorial.
But looking at the actual eye anatomy in a lot of anatomical sheets lately i recognized that its actually bent outwards

who would have thought of that? i actually didn't!

i guess they cannot all be wrong, and while i don't have a medical anatomy book at hand i guess the results in there would be the same?
So why exactly do wo do it? Just because of the nice effect of light beeing caught on the cornea as a specular highlight and on the iris a more diffuse shading going on?

just wondering
Neox is offline   Reply With Quote