advertise

Go Back   CGFeedback > CG Forums > CG blah blah...

CG blah blah... Open discussions on cg related stuff

Old 26-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
TripleF
Points: 220, Level: 4 Points: 220, Level: 4 Points: 220, Level: 4
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Default B5: Previously unreleaased concept art and new interviews with FX artists

Hi,

Just checked with the admin Pascal to see if this was OK to post here.

So, as thereís no easy way to introduce this subtly.

After contacting Ron Thornton, to find out who designed one of the ships on Babylon 5, one thing led to another, and a quick exercise in learning how to code up a web page turned into a unique reference site. (5 years, 15 FX artists and one producer later). Among those contacted included Steve Burg, Everett Burrell, Eric Chauvin and Kevin Kutchaver.

The site isnít going to stay up forever, It was just a hobby, a one off, so I made it downloadable for anyone to keep Ė no strings, popups, adverts or anything else attached. Just a lot of frank, revealing, wide ranging and occasionally funny interviews from a bunch of artists with enough Emmys between them to field a couple of football teams (that answer a lot of questions and bust a few myths) and a fair bit of previously unreleased concept art, like this.

Itís not so much about the show, but the artists, the art and the technology. Steve Burg (who recently designed the Prometheus for the Ridley Scott movie) described what we talked about as the most in-depth examination of his methodology and approach to design ever carried out. Which, considering Steveís career, came as a bit of a surprise.

This is a link to a facebook page highlighting the site.

http://www.facebook.com/B5Scrolls

If you read the top post youíll see why I joined FB and set it up that FB page, and why Iím pointing there. Itís far from ideal (a lot of folks arenít on facebook), but it was the best idea I could think of to let as many know as possible, before the site disappears.

If anyoneís interested, and ainít on facebook, hereís a link to the website itself. Though if you can Ďlikeí that Facebook thing, that would be helpful in letting others find the info before the thing dissapears.
http://www.themadgoner.com/B5/B5Scrolls/B5Scrolls.htm
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
Kel Solaar
Pixel Bender
Points: 36,566, Level: 100 Points: 36,566, Level: 100 Points: 36,566, Level: 100
Activity: 64% Activity: 64% Activity: 64%

Company: The Moving Picture Company

Hi Tom,

Cool site, lot of informations gathered! Must have taken you a lot of time I'll try to explore it a bit more this weekend!

I have downloaded the archive, let me know if you want me to host a copy of it on my website, it's not going down anytime soon

KS
Kel Solaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
TripleF

It was a bit over 5 years on and off (basically as mutual workloads and real life stuff allowed). Considering it was meant to be a couple of days worth at best, I figured it was time to stop. ; )
Old 29-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
TripleF

Didn’t want to start a new thread just for this – and apologies if your not on facebook, though I don’t think you need to sign in in order to read it – but I thought this is all kinds of cool.

The unique - and largely unknown – surreptitious nod to Babylon 5 by NASA artists was cool enough, but then the Director of Communications at the Spitzer Centre made it official after someone complained. Priceless. ; )

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater