CGMA Top2

Go Back   CGFeedback > CG Forums > CG blah blah...

CG blah blah... Open discussions on cg related stuff

Old 20-04-2012, 04:39 AM   #1
Kel Solaar
Pixel Bender
Points: 36,800, Level: 100 Points: 36,800, Level: 100 Points: 36,800, Level: 100
Activity: 93% Activity: 93% Activity: 93%

Company: The Moving Picture Company
Default Autodesk - "The only way to use them will be online."

Enjoy

http://www.cgchannel.com/2012/04/aut...oon-go-online/

KS
Kel Solaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
oglu
Veteran
Points: 76,248, Level: 100 Points: 76,248, Level: 100 Points: 76,248, Level: 100
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

thats also in the beta forums a discussion point... all i can say thats a lot of hot air...
sure some will use online products from AD... but most user not...

lets wait and see...
oglu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
NZO
Points: 21,621, Level: 92 Points: 21,621, Level: 92 Points: 21,621, Level: 92
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Company: Dneg

I think they are playing a really dangerous game here. I'm really curious to see how it's gonna work. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think that a good idea.

In my point of view:
I think 3d artist and company will start looking for other 3D solutions. The couple last released from Autodesk software was ridiculous. The 2013 products looks like a joke. I've a been a pro-maya for many years, but now I'm looking for product with better potential. (modo for now and hopefully houdini soon).

The big advantage Autodesk still have for now, it's the massive number of users. Go online and I think lots of them will start looking for other 3D software.
Old 20-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
jack_sparow
Points: 10,767, Level: 68 Points: 10,767, Level: 68 Points: 10,767, Level: 68
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

This is the only way for them to make more and more money without additonnal cost. that's smart in a certain commercial point but not as an artist. how could you use an online app without an internet provider. so you can't use the product everywhere, that's not pratical and not viable. To me it's just a better way to limit piracy and things like that but it's not as smart as it seems.

As a personnal point of view I'm pretty happy with this move because something bigger is incoming...
jack_sparow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
NZO
Points: 21,621, Level: 92 Points: 21,621, Level: 92 Points: 21,621, Level: 92
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Company: Dneg

"something bigger is incoming..."

Can't you tell us what it is ? Even in french ?

Last edited by NZO; 20-04-2012 at 01:39 PM.
NZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
tonytrout
Veteran
Points: 82,524, Level: 100 Points: 82,524, Level: 100 Points: 82,524, Level: 100
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

we are all ears.

PS. The non-cg company I work with wouldnt have a bar of this for their commercial operations; business security and disaster recovery are high priority items in the corporate governance. Mind you in the internal environment we have used a lot of win terminal apps, and other network deployments, also some NZ government depts are looking at cloud computing solutions.

Last edited by tonytrout; 21-04-2012 at 11:23 AM.
tonytrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
polyman
Points: 36,562, Level: 100 Points: 36,562, Level: 100 Points: 36,562, Level: 100
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Member Photo Albums

Sad future- Martial Law for 3D
same thing with the upcoming Playstation 4

Last edited by polyman; 21-04-2012 at 03:06 PM.
polyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #8
Wayne
Points: 660, Level: 13 Points: 660, Level: 13 Points: 660, Level: 13
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Company: Freelance Pain in the Backside

Not a fan of the concept, although I can understand why more and more companies at looking at solutions like this as piracy has went off the scale the last few years. But for people like me in a rural area on a flakey (on a good day!) net connection that would be a sodding nightmare. Companies often forget not evreyone lives in a city .

Wayne...
Old 23-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
abvfx
Points: 3,576, Level: 37 Points: 3,576, Level: 37 Points: 3,576, Level: 37
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Not a fan of the concept, although I can understand why more and more companies at looking at solutions like this as piracy has went off the scale the last few years. But for people like me in a rural area on a flakey (on a good day!) net connection that would be a sodding nightmare. Companies often forget not evreyone lives in a city .

Wayne...
It is very understandable.

But i think it might help Autodesk if they take a page from other developers and markets. I have no idea on the figures but to me it feels like with packages like Houdini Apprentice there is really no need to pirate it, unless for commercial gain which is really the worst kind of piracy compared to a 13 year old who downloads it with no clue how to use or even profit from it.

Back when the Maya PLE was out i suspect piracy was still high since the watermark was over the entire viewport and the render, it was pretty clear that A|W was being highly protective of their product and trying to expand their userbase through the software wasnt the highest priority.

Houdini being one of the more expensive 3d solutions out there if you want all the fluids and Particle Operators has a good balance of getting the software to all who want to use it whilst protecting the product. They even have a new monetary setup with the HD version which i imagine will become a very steady stream of revenue.

So if this online talk is about piracy i really think they are going about it in the wrong way. If this is nostradamus prediction of technological advances, then i say only time will tell, but personally i cant see many CTO's now or in the foreseeable future looking to shift their entire pipeline into a completely online workspace.

twitter
abvfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
Wayne
Points: 660, Level: 13 Points: 660, Level: 13 Points: 660, Level: 13
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Company: Freelance Pain in the Backside

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenzy84 View Post
So if this online talk is about piracy i really think they are going about it in the wrong way. If this is nostradamus prediction of technological advances, then i say only time will tell, but personally I cant see many CTO's now or in the foreseeable future looking to shift their entire pipeline into a completely online workspace.
I have to say I agree on this. I dont think many people would be willing to gamble the security and stability of assets for a very large budget game or film to online apps and any sort of cloud storage. While the app itself may be no different, the sudden need to implement massive ammounts of security would make it a no go for starters I'd think.

As for piracy, well its always been around and probably always will, although there has been a steady increase for a while now. Its th reason I stopped putting out DVD's as they get pirated within hours these days, and as for any plugins or apps..no way I'd sell them. Firstly I am not a shop keeper and secondly if they were any good they'd again be pirated within hours. I know a few small dev companies in 3d that have goten bitten the same way. Months /years of dev down the drain for sales killed by piracy.

But one things for sure, you never know what the future holds.

Wayne...