CGMA Top1

Go Back   CGFeedback > CG Forums > Finished Works... at last!!!

Finished Works... at last!!! Completed 2D and 3D works

Old 13-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
Fess1001
Points: 25,192, Level: 95 Points: 25,192, Level: 95 Points: 25,192, Level: 95
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Member Photo Albums
Default Glow

I think I finally have something semi-decent to post here in the finished section. It started off as a doodle, exercise in drawing stuff in perspective, with cross-sections, etc, inspired by industrial and product design drawings. About half way through it turned into a painting.
-Glow, a robot, wandering through a derelict space station.
Hope you like, and thanks for looking.

Attached Images

Last edited by Fess1001; 16-04-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Fess1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 05:09 AM   #2
heymynameisivan
Points: 2,978, Level: 33 Points: 2,978, Level: 33 Points: 2,978, Level: 33
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

haha i couldnt figure out why i didnt ntoice this in your WIP thread
as i said before, def one of my fav's. really like the bold color choices, makes me really want to use more colors. only wish there was a higher rez good job!
heymynameisivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
Fess1001

Member Photo Albums

Thanks again! Heh, I'll probably cross-post it in there for continuity, once I have some more stuff >_> There is a higher res version, though I'd actually need to paint and resolve more of the background for it to look finished. I reckoned this would be a more of "as a whole", mood/impression type of image, where details don't matter too much, so I kept it small. If I get time to go back to it, I'll def make it a bit bigger.
Old 16-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
PascalR
Administrator
Points: 284,077, Level: 100 Points: 284,077, Level: 100 Points: 284,077, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Company: Weta Digital
Member Photo Albums

Yeah great painting, I'd love to see it more polished and higher res , keep it up!

Please attach an image (could be small) to your first post, so it displays as a thread thumbnail.

Make sure to post the references you've used if you're looking for hardcore feedback!

PascalR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #5
Kel Solaar
Pixel Bender
Points: 37,017, Level: 100 Points: 37,017, Level: 100 Points: 37,017, Level: 100
Activity: 86% Activity: 86% Activity: 86%

Company: The Moving Picture Company

Yellow is a hard color to work with, especially when very saturated, but you definitely succeeded (Nice use of the complimentary )! Interesting to note that once flipped and because of the fat yellow smoke it feels heavier to read ( Feeling that Asians viewers may perceive ).

Really like the piece!

KS
Kel Solaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
Fess1001

Member Photo Albums

Thanks Pascal!~

Thomas, thanks! Yeah, you're right, it's a bit heavy on that side - maybe something to think about when I get a chance to get back to it (although I want to leave it, at least for the time being). There's also the thing with perspective being off on that side too, probably not helping either..

//I'm a little skeptical though - does the way people read text affect the way they perceive non-text things, i.e images, stuff around them, etc? I.e they tend to look at it left to right/right to left, regardless if it's text or not? It just seems like that would have to be biological/genetic, almost, which seems a bit dubious to me >_>

Not to chip away at your comment , which I agree with -- the image is certainly heavier on that side.

Thanks for dropping by and commenting guys!
Old 17-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
Kel Solaar
Pixel Bender
Points: 37,017, Level: 100 Points: 37,017, Level: 100 Points: 37,017, Level: 100

I guess an example would be the Japan Mangas, they are written from right to left and are meant to be viewed this way, with thumbnails composed to work this way. I think ( Need to find a source / link for that ) that when they first traduced Dragon Ball in France, they changed the reading direction and reversed the book to left to right. They even pushed further by flipping the thumbnails horizontally to accomodate to the way they were meant to be seen, they stopped quickly because it created a lot of issues and inconsistencies with the story, a building on the right was now on the left, a character hit on the right side was hit on the left and so forth

I'm not living in Japan, but I always assumed they were entering an image from the right But nowadays, as more and more occidental stuff is making into their lives maybe they are tackling stuff from the left. That's a very interesting subject and I don't mind if a Japan CGFeedback member can weight on this.

KS
Old 17-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
Fess1001

Member Photo Albums

Hm, that example could probably be an argument that some images are only made to work a certain way, especially when it's in such sequential medium that, similar to film, has to follow screen direction rules to avoid jump cuts and so forth to stay coherent.

I think I see what you mean, but take us for example -- we read a certain way -- yet we don't always enter the image from left to right like when we read. In fact, there are a number of things an artist/filmmaker can do to make the viewer enter from a certain place: - like if there is an area of big open space; when there is something that has a recognizable front and back. E.g: if there is a person in the picture and he/she is facing a proportionally larger open area - that's where the viewer will 'come in' from.

As an example, the last two illustrations in my wip thread (shameless plug) are facing the opposite directions - one is a car, one is a robot scene. Both of those are read from opposite directions, directions that the main objects are facing. And so what I was thinking is that if we can read images from either way and it doesn't really make any difference -- then people who are brought up having text go the other way - well, it shouldn't make any difference for them either. >_> They ll follow the same cues as us, i.e 'front/face' + open area, and so on. Unless of course you meant something else. :/

And certainly, if there is someone who's been brought up reading from right to left and could weigh in on the subject, it would be interesting to know.

P.s. sorry for long post, heh, got carried away.
Old 18-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #9
Kel Solaar
Pixel Bender

Hehehe no worries, it's very interesting!

KS

Tags
bobylev, mech, robot