PDA

View Full Version : HairFarm + Vray

Intervain
30-09-2012, 08:45 AM
I've been playing around with both lately and I just can't render the HairFarm hair in Vray no matter what... I'm getting nasty green artefacts and all over and completely different effect every time [even without changing the settings]. I've read someplace it doesn't like Vray lights. The HairFarm website advertises it as being compatible with Vray.

Anyone had any success with that? Can you share a few pointers if you did? :) Thanks. I've been using the trial version btw [in case that's it].

Roumen Filipov
30-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Hi! Well, hairfarm is not fully compatible with vray, at least wasn't the last time I used the plugin. You can try using standard lights with hairshadows, the results are great and relatively fast to render.

The only reason why I've abandoned hairfarm is the instability and the heavy simulation but it has some really cool tools.

I hope It works for you but if you wish, there is the ornatrix plugin that seems to be the best solution for hair in 3dsmax + vray.

Intervain
30-09-2012, 10:33 AM
yes I was looking at Ornatrix and it does seem a perfect solution for Vray. Thanks for the info. I don't want to work with sth if I have to setup a new lighting system just for the hair :) Too much hustle for me.

Bigguns
01-10-2012, 05:49 AM
Vray has been upgraded lately, 2 weeks ago I think, but the release is not out, only on nightly build and it's suppose to fully support hairfarm, I may try it soon I'll let you know.

I'm also using the latest version of Hairfarm and that help too.

Intervain
01-10-2012, 05:51 AM
great I'll wait till you have some info then :) Thanks Luc!

adamlewis
01-10-2012, 07:16 AM
I'm in the Vray beta and I didn't even realize they added HairFarm support, but I just checked one of the nightly builds and Vray now has a modifier called VrayHairFarmMod - you just drop it in your modifier stack and it renders out the curves perfectly in Vray. Very cool.

In the meanwhile, HairFarm has a really neat modifier in it called "HairTo Poly" that allows you to convert the curves to polygons, which allows you to render it just like any other geometry - so you can use whatever Vray shader you want, GI etc. The downside is that it's more expensive. Here's a test I did a while ago with Vray and HairFarm using that technique.

http://adamvfx.com/vrayhairtest.jpg

Intervain
01-10-2012, 07:20 AM
great info thanks Adam!

I tried it, alas the Hair to Poly is disabled in trial version, which makes me fail to see a point of a trial version if you can't try it :confused: ... anyway I'll wait for the new releases and see your guys' impressions!

soulty
10-10-2012, 05:28 PM
hairfarm will be compatible with vray in hairfarm 2. It was on the hair farm forum. Where did you find the VrayHairFarmMod?

oglu
10-10-2012, 08:08 PM
that looks good adam...
thanks for sharing...

Intervain
11-10-2012, 12:22 AM
hairfarm will be compatible with vray in hairfarm 2. It was on the hair farm forum. Where did you find the VrayHairFarmMod?

I checked it out and it's mentioned by the chaos group guys on the Vray forums..

mindrot
14-10-2012, 05:13 AM
I purchased Hair-Farm a month or two back. Guess I'm going to have to buy it AGAIN now :banghead: The advertising on the Hair-farm website is misleading as well.

Anyway I am using VRay lights along with an omni placed in the same location as each of the main VRay lights and that works for me... so far. Though I've only been doing test renders and not final scene renders or anything, but I was quite pleased with the results.

Though I don't think Hair-Farm works with GI properly either. You also have to use Hair-Farm's own hair shader - the VRay one doesn't work; it just renders weird stuff :confused:

The thing I love about Hair-Farm is the ease of creating the hair. It' just works so nicely.

Any idea when Hair-Farm 2 will be released?

Intervain
14-10-2012, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the insides Gary. Yes the ease of modeling is what draws me to it most [though in the images at least, the rendering looks best too]. I don't really have a problem modeling hair with splines, it's quite fun but I could never get the specs to render nicely with any other package. Well I'll hold off for a while still and look at what happens. I bought Vray for now and will wait for the updates :) So much to learn in Vray, besides hair, that it'll keep me busy in the meantime.

mindrot
14-10-2012, 06:16 AM
I was also initially curious about Ornatrix, as it supports VRay, but I wasn't that impressed by the quality - it seemed to have a bit of a cartoony effect in the renders that I saw. Also the set-up looked a bit convoluted to me.

mindrot
01-11-2012, 11:24 PM
I purchased Hair-Farm a month or two back. Guess I'm going to have to buy it AGAIN now :banghead: The advertising on the Hair-farm website is misleading as well...

....Any idea when Hair-Farm 2 will be released?

I just received an e-mail from Cyber Radiance about Hair-farm 2 and downloaded the free update :dance:

I haven't tried it yet to see how it integrates with V-Ray, but I'm sure it'll all be good.

Intervain
02-11-2012, 04:35 AM
ah thanks so much for the info Gary... I was curious if the updates were free or not :) Excellent, this is definitely a x-mas present from me to me :dance:

mindrot
02-11-2012, 05:03 AM
No problem. As I have only just purchased the previous version about a month or two back I really didn't want to have to buy it again.

Intervain
07-11-2012, 05:58 AM
just as general info, I came across this modifier for download from the Chaos Group: http://www.spot3d.com/vray/misc/ at the very bottom.

It'll be integrated in the next service pack too, so yay!

mindrot
07-11-2012, 07:01 AM
From what I read on the Hair-Farm website you won't need to use the modifier:

"That is a test modifier that Chaos Group implemented for Hair Farm 2 When the new version of V-Ray comes out, you will not need that modifier, but you will still need to have Hair Farm 2."

Intervain
07-11-2012, 07:23 AM
yes that's what I said...sorry if it wasn't clear. It'll be implemented in the new update, until then use the modifier.

mindrot
07-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Ah, okay. Yeah I can't wait to try it out, though I've had to put my own work on hold for paying work, so will have to wait a while.

Intervain
26-11-2012, 10:50 PM
Did anybody have any success with this hairfarm vray modifier? I still can't get it to render properly, and thought perhaps I'm missing sth.

mindrot
27-11-2012, 12:08 AM
Apparently there are issues. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. This thread might shed some light: http://www.cyberradiance.com/hairfarm/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1373

adamlewis
27-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Did anybody have any success with this hairfarm vray modifier? I still can't get it to render properly, and thought perhaps I'm missing sth.

I'm using it with Max 2012 and the latest version of Hair Farm without issue. Keep in mind you have to use Vray materials, as Hair Farm is only being used to generate the primitives. Simply plug your Vray material into the material slot in the "Hair Generate" modifier, and also make sure in the "Hair Display" modifier you turn off "Use Hair Farm Renderer".

mindrot
27-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Good to hear. Thanks Adam.

oglu
27-11-2012, 08:36 PM
adam could you post an image of a render..?
and talk a bit about the light setup..?

i wasnt able to get satisfying results with the vray hair shader...

Intervain
27-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Hmm I did both of those things and still no joy with vray light setup... I second Oglu's request :)

mindrot
27-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Quoted from the thread I posted above if you haven't read it: "Have you excluded the object from the Hair Farm Renderer? Otherwise both renderers might try to render the same hair.

When the new version of V-Ray comes out, you will not need the vrayhairmod and V-Ray will only render hair objects that are excluded from the Hair Farm Renderer." - Cem Yuksel - Developer

Not sure if that helps or works as I have yet to try it myself.

Intervain
27-11-2012, 11:17 PM
yeah I read the thread... will do more tests this week to see if there's sth I'm doing wrong but yeah I just turned off hairfarm renderer completely... haven't tried excluding per object

mindrot
27-11-2012, 11:30 PM
Yeah it's all a bit misleading as I got quite excited when I saw Hair-farm 2 released and there was mention of it working with V-Ray properly and such :\

Intervain
28-11-2012, 01:18 AM
hehe same here :) well I'm hoping the new vray upgrade will be out soon... in the mean time I guess I'll stick to separate light rigs for hair

adamlewis
28-11-2012, 11:15 AM
adam could you post an image of a render..?
and talk a bit about the light setup..?

i wasnt able to get satisfying results with the vray hair shader...

The one really important thing is making sure you have GI enabled, as that is required to get dual scattering, which gives the hair that nice glow in the volume. I've only tested Vray's hair shader with very short hair, and it works decent - it's hard to say how good it can get because I'm still familiarizing myself with the shader. I do get the feeling it's a bit limited in quality/accuracy unfortunately. The other aspect is how Vray renders its hair primitives - it uses what looks to be flat normals, but I don't think that will cut it for realistic hair - you really need proper cylindrical normals including some bump mapping along the strand for glints etc. I'll try to prepare a simple test with longer hair and see what I get.

adamlewis
28-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Ok, so here's a simple test using Hair Farm to generate the primitives and Vray for rendering them. I think it looks pretty decent for just using a shader preset with no mapping in any of the values and a crappy hair model. Looking at this makes me think the main issue just the normals of the hair primitive - if you zoom in you can see they are way too smooth, like silk or nylon fibers. I think with more control over the hair primitive you could get something a lot more realistic.

http://adamvfx.com/vrayhairfarmtest.jpg

Intervain
28-11-2012, 10:47 PM
it does look pretty good with just default settings. That's the vray hair mtl?

Could you point the exact step you're doing to get this? I would like to try and replicate the effect... so far all I can render is black hair with crazy neon pink artefacts ;) Thanks.

mindrot
16-12-2012, 01:55 AM
Just got around to trying it out with Vary 2.30 and it works fine for me (with the VRayhairmodifier). I didn't use the VRay hair material though as I just wanted to do a quick test - though I would have if the Hair-Farm material didn't work.

Intervain
16-12-2012, 03:25 AM
EDIT: ok I got it to render. Turning off the Hairfarm Renderer just in the effects tab was not enough.. I needed to turn it off in the hair display modifier too... go me. this is painful lol The hairfarm shader looks awful though... must use vray one... boo

Darijan
19-12-2012, 04:30 AM
here is a test i did!
some hints in the vray system settings crank up the dynamic memory limit as much as you can,and also crank up the samples, in my case i used adaptive DMC
I just cant get enough of the Vray lights with the awesome hairs from HairFarm2 :)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/41901994/_hairfarm_tst/Hair2k_.jpg

Intervain
19-12-2012, 04:47 AM
do you mean u're using the hairfarm shader? I do have the memory quite high and dmc settings too. I'm getting a pretty good result with vray shader [not perfect] but haven't gone back to hairfarm shader.

Darijan
19-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Nope all vray! Hair farm shaders dont render well at all, :) im ok with the vray shader :)

mindrot
19-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Looking great. I'll have to give the VRay shaders a go when I get the chance again - hopefully later this week.

Intervain
19-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Nope all vray! Hair farm shaders dont render well at all, :) im ok with the vray shader :)

ok yeah just making sure I haven't missed sth there hehe ;)

Darijan
20-12-2012, 01:37 AM
ah thanks so much for the info Gary... I was curious if the updates were free or not :) Excellent, this is definitely a x-mas present from me to me :dance:

but the update isnt free... it is only free to the users that bought hairfarm1 90 days prior to the release date of Hairfarm2 this is why Gary got a free update ...we got the update at half price of the plugin..

Intervain
20-12-2012, 03:59 AM
hmm I bought it already a while ago and got the latest updates for free

Darijan
20-12-2012, 04:11 AM
strange. we had to pay for the hairfarm 2.0 update :)

mindrot
21-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Trying the VRay material and it's working quite well. Is there something similar to Hair-Farm's Hair Colour Variation material in VRay's materials?

adamlewis
21-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Trying the VRay material and it's working quite well. Is there something similar to Hair-Farm's Hair Colour Variation material in VRay's materials?

Vray has a map called VrayHairInfoTex that allows you to modify the colors between strands or along strands and it even works with Hairfarm (assuming you are rendering with Vray hair primitives of course). When you set the two colors it will use that as a range for assigning color to the different hairs, so you can get quite a lot of variety from just the two values. It's not quite as nice as Hairfarm's Color Variation map, but with a bit of tweaking and combining with other maps you can get a pretty comparable result.

Intervain
21-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the info Adam. :thumbsup: Are you using that with the transmission color or the overall multiplier? I find the coloring options in the vray hair material a weird choice.

mindrot
21-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Brilliant! Thanks Adam :D I actually saw that map whilst hunting down the VRay hair Material.

adamlewis
21-12-2012, 12:04 PM
You're welcome guys.

Intervain: Typically you want to use transmission color to change the overall color of the hair. The options are a bit unintuitive but are actually based on a physical model of human hair; the Vray hair material, as with most hair shaders, is based on this paper:

http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/hair/hair-sg03final.pdf

The physics and such is way over my head, but from some of the sections of the paper you can glean insights into how the shader is designed and how you might tweak it to get the look you are after.

Intervain
21-12-2012, 12:17 PM
thanks! that's very helpful indeed!

Darijan
21-12-2012, 09:50 PM
wow Great stuff :) :beerchug:

mindrot
25-12-2012, 01:18 AM
here is a test i did!
some hints in the vray system settings crank up the dynamic memory limit as much as you can,and also crank up the samples, in my case i used adaptive DMC
I just cant get enough of the Vray lights with the awesome hairs from HairFarm2 :)

Love the render. I just wanted to ask if there is anything special to take into consideration with the VRay lights or if you've just left them at default settings?

Darijan
25-12-2012, 01:51 AM
I left them at the default settings i only entered a gradient ramp in the texture tab!
here is a link so you can check it out for yourself :)

just note im using 3dsmax2010,and this was done as a test to see the if the passes worked properly with the vrayhairfarmmod

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/41901994/_hairfarm_tst/Tst_HF2_.max

mindrot
25-12-2012, 03:11 AM
OOW!! Thanks Darijan. I'll take a look at this a bit later today :D

Darijan
26-12-2012, 12:27 AM
OOW!! Thanks Darijan. I'll take a look at this a bit later today :D

No problem :)

I have noticed that HF2 with the vrayhairfarm modifier renders all the hairs only if the Show All Hairs
check box is checked in the Viewort Display tab
...I dont know if its me or is this a bug :D

mindrot
21-01-2013, 04:49 AM
Is there any way to create darkened roots with Hair-Farm? That is say the hair I have is blonde and I want the roots of the hair to be a bit darker closer to the scalp, or for that matter create colour variation along strands?

Bigguns
21-01-2013, 08:43 AM
You can use hair color variation for the darkened roots and you can also use in combination (mix,etc) the Hair color mutant for adding variation color to each hairs,etc. It's all in the doc ;)

Darijan
21-01-2013, 08:52 AM
I used a gradiant ramp and changed from uv to wu coordinates here is a snip :)
this changes the color along the strand..
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41901994/_hairfarm_tst/Gradient_Ramp_.jpg

Intervain
21-01-2013, 09:09 AM
You can use hair color variation for the darkened roots and you can also use in combination (mix,etc) the Hair color mutant for adding variation color to each hairs,etc. It's all in the doc ;)

isn't that hair farm exclusive though, the mutant thing and won't work with vray?

mindrot
21-01-2013, 10:34 AM
I think it does work with VRay - I did test it and had no problems, though to be honest I didn't check to see if it was doing what it was meant to :o

Darijan
21-01-2013, 11:55 PM
I think it does work with VRay - I did test it and had no problems, though to be honest I didn't check to see if it was doing what it was meant to :o

I had a problem using any nodes from Hair Farm while rendering in Vray
the renders were not consistent and the mutant colors just went crazy...

Intervain
22-01-2013, 01:50 AM
yeah same thing I had - crazy pinks and greens and madness all round :D

Bigguns
22-01-2013, 04:03 AM
isn't that hair farm exclusive though, the mutant thing and won't work with vray?

I think yeah, I did not try it a lot with Vray, but I think it do not work with the Vray hair shader, since it's using his own one. did you tried with a Vray Mtl, I think it work with a normal Vray Mtl. Everytime I tried to render hairs with Vray hair shader it get fluo green lol... there's a problem for sure..

I hope it work with the vray mtl, at least, since I did my hair shader with a combination of these..

Intervain
22-01-2013, 04:43 AM
it works fine with vray mat and ramp yeah

mindrot
22-01-2013, 04:51 AM
Everytime I tried to render hairs with Vray hair shader it get fluo green lol... there's a problem for sure..

I think you're possibly getting green hair because it is trying to use both the Hair-farm renderer and VRay to render the hair - you can turn off "Use hair Farm Renderer". If you have the latest version of Hair-Farm and are using the latest VRay that is. I kept getting green because I was doing that and forgetting to turn off "Use hair Farm Renderer" under the Hair Dsiplay (WSM) modifier.

Darijan
22-01-2013, 04:57 AM
or just turn it off on the environment settings under include\Exclude tab
and dont forget the VrayHairFarmMod :)

mindrot
22-01-2013, 05:33 AM
Yup... Any ideas when the next version (2.4 I think) will be out that won't require the VrayHairFarmMod?

mindrot
10-02-2013, 07:07 AM
I thought that I'd just keep this thread going as it seems quite popular.

I've just posted this very question on the Hair-Farm forum but thought I might as well post it here:

I've just tried using VRay's caustics for some glass (which works great), but then the hair renders out quite flat which doesn't help. It's fine when I don't enable caustics. Is there any work around to this?

I'm using VRay 2.3 with the latest version of Hair-Farm ( 2.0.0.134 for 3ds Max 2011 64-bit). I'm also using the vrayhairfarmmod.

Any help would be great.

Darijan
10-02-2013, 07:19 AM
can you post an example?

mindrot
11-02-2013, 03:10 AM
Sorry for the delay in replying. I also got a response from Cem at Hair-Farm and he suggested that I contact the VRay devs.

I've attached an image (sorry I can't really post more of the image at this stage as it's very much a work in progress). The caustics are quite subtle at the moment, but that's not so much the point (they were stronger in one of my other renders).

I'm not sure if it's something to do with my caustic settings (they were left at default as I haven't really played with them at all) as the caustics seem to affect the skin as well (it seems to darken the skin). Actually looking at it now, I think it's affecting the specular, looking at some of the highlights on the skin as well (image on the far right).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.unearthedart.com/images/external/caustics_issues_01.jpg

mindrot
11-02-2013, 03:24 AM
Updated post above as I made a mistake with the image.

Darijan
11-02-2013, 03:59 AM
Updated post above as I made a mistake with the image.

hmm well a nother question...
do you have anything on the hair shader?
there could be a problem in your render settings,because the skin looks great but the hair looks ...well kinda like its a low res version of the skin..
what GI primary and secundary bounces?
I was talking with a buddy of mine the other day and he gave me a great tip...he is using ornatrix with Vray so its basically the same thing,anyway he told me to stick a VrayHairInfoTex in the opacity tab flip the black & white colours and it makes every strand kinda pop out,and you can play with some more settings like the tip of the hair strand, and after this i found out that i can lower my DMC sampler Min and max subdivision to 1 : 4
and maybe try brute force on primary and secondary passes :) it seems to work good with the hair...at least for me
well this is what i can offer :) Hope something helps

Darijan
11-02-2013, 04:02 AM
cant wait to see the rest :)

mindrot
11-02-2013, 05:31 AM
hmm well a nother question...
do you have anything on the hair shader?

Thanks Darijan I think all that's attached to the VRayHairMtl is a Colour Correction and a Gradient Ramp.

there could be a problem in your render settings,because the skin looks great but the hair looks ...well kinda like its a low res version of the skin..

Are you referring to the hair in general or the flattened out one with caustics?

what GI primary and secundary bounces?

Primary Bounces are Brute Force and Secondary bounces are Light Cache.

Thanks for the info I'll give those tip a go as well :)

mindrot
11-03-2013, 02:16 PM
h
I was talking with a buddy of mine the other day and he gave me a great tip...he is using ornatrix with Vray so its basically the same thing,anyway he told me to stick a VrayHairInfoTex in the opacity tab flip the black & white colours and it makes every strand kinda pop out

I actually got around to giving this a go and it seriously slows down the render time and make the hair really flat and blurry.

Darijan
11-03-2013, 02:49 PM
I actually got around to giving this a go and it seriously slows down the render time and make the hair really flat and blurry.

Sorry to hear that ,its strange im having the opposite results. . .

mindrot
11-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Oh well, it was worth a try.

joshpurple
12-03-2013, 08:31 AM
Hi All,

My Thanks to you guys for the thread, -very helpful to find info on Vray and HairFarm (latest news on the most current versions, etc.)
If this has already been covered, my apologies, but if it might help, I just connected with one of the guys from Chaos Group (official support), and he passed this info on;
------------------------------------
"There is no official help or tutorial for Vray+Hairfarm yet.

VrayHairFarmMod is needed to transform the hairs into geometry (they are used as Atmospheric Effect with their renderer). So you need the mod for the GI and Motion blur. There is a slight inconvenience at the moment because in certain situations the hair made with HairFarm and rendered with Vray look segmented , so you must use "Additional Steps" in "Hair Generate/Parameters" to smooth the hair. I hope this won't be necessary in Vray 3.0 :)

About the shader - you can use what you prefer. I'm not very familiar with HairFarm's shaders but I think our (VrayHairMtl) is pretty good. You can read some info here http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/200R1/vrayhairmtl_params.htm ."
-----------------------------------

And, very nice to hear him mention "Vray 3.0 :) " !

Thanks again!

mindrot
12-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the info Josh.

So I'm guessing that the VrayHairFarmMod will only be removed in Vray 3 then?

joshpurple
12-03-2013, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the info Josh.

So I'm guessing that the VrayHairFarmMod will only be removed in Vray 3 then?

Good guess. Or, he might have been hinting at something else? Maybe some new Vray hair system / item? (not HairFarm, Ornatrix, or the default Max Hair and Fur).

I'm waiting to hear back from HairFarm on any resources, tutorials, etc. with Vray. Soon as I hear anything, I'll be sure to pass it along.

Thanks again :) !

Intervain
02-04-2013, 01:38 PM
ok reviving this thread again :)

Does anyone know how to render Hairfarm hair with Vray material as a separate pass? I'm totally clueless here:confused:

Also has anyone experienced major crashing of Max while working with hairfarm modifiers - I've been having a massive shower of those lately, can't figure out why. When I worked with the previous iteration there were none of those. Often the scene won't open from max either, only by double clicking the file and starting max that way.

Intervain
04-04-2013, 06:50 AM
Ok I've found the reason for the crashing... vray hair material + the hair infotext =boom it would seem...

My question about hair as separate pass still stands?

Malanjo
04-04-2013, 09:26 AM
Does anyone know how to render Hairfarm hair with Vray material as a separate pass? I'm totally clueless here:confused:

See if there is a Vray Hairfarm pass in "Render Setup>Render Elements>Add".

If not, just do it using the old classic trick, rendering your character and hidding the hair (putting it not visible to camera), and after just render the hair using the "Matte Object" option with vray: Right mouse over your character mesh and "Vray properties>Matte Object checkbox" and "alpha contribution" at -1.Also in "Direct light" check the "Affect alpha" box. No need to check the "Shadows" since your render it with you model before.

Also, you can use the "Vray Render ID" pass, so you can have various colored masks of your objects to use in post (Photoshop, Fusion, After Effects, Nuke,etc). But render ir with the double of the size and then resize it to the normal scale, so you can have nice sharp edges of the masks, since the Vray Render ID pass come out with a poor AA.

Personally, I prefer Ornatrix. Cheaper and really well integrated with Vray. No crashes at all, and the developers team is very supportive when necessary, also they do alot of upgrades with new free releases. Also works nicelly on the renderfarm if needed for distributed renders\animations, no need extra licenses, just a simple install on the go.

Hope it helped to solve your problem. :)

Intervain
04-04-2013, 11:37 AM
Thanks so much! I'm still quite a newbie to max rendering so that was a life saver :)

Yeah I was thinking long and haird between Hairfarm and Ornatrix and in the end decided to buy hairfarm because of the hairmesh modeling instead of just splines :) I'm happy with it and the crashes are caused totally by vray stuff coupled with my ignorance ;) not hairfarm so no complaints :)

Malanjo
04-04-2013, 01:17 PM
You welcome! I learned vray alot some years ago viewing two DVDs from Gnomon by Christopher Nichols. Did a search and just found them on Amazon (looks like they are not in Gnomon's website anymore). Here:
http://www.amazon.com/Global-Illumination-Interiors-Techniques-Christopher/dp/B000NQRRCU
http://www.amazon.com/Global-Illumination-Exteriors-Lighting-Techniques/dp/B000NQRRCK (looks like is out of stock)
They are kind of "old", but they are up to date! :)

Indeed, Hairfarm modeling hair is awesome and super fast to work with! But for sure they will integrate it even more with Vray in the future, is just a matter of time!

Intervain
23-04-2013, 06:00 AM
actually i take it back, I think the crashing is from Hair Farm... now every time I want to even edit it a bit it goes... I tried isolating things into new scenes and yeah the hair stuff blows up... Anybody had any problems with hair mesh editing crashing max? It's not during rendering but during editing.

mindrot
26-04-2013, 09:38 PM
I know I've had crash in the past, but not too recently as far as I can remember.

joshpurple
28-05-2013, 05:16 AM
Glad to see the comments and posts, Thank You everyone, always appreciate the time and help. :)

If it helps, Hair Farm just recently put out an update, and it was with/for Vray.

Intervain
28-05-2013, 05:20 AM
yup installed it already, haven't used it yet to see if the crashing is diminished on my machine hehe. hopefully :)

joshpurple
28-05-2013, 05:22 AM
yup installed it already, haven't used it yet to see if the crashing is diminished on my machine hehe. hopefully :)

Same here :D , haven't had time to test it yet. Good luck, -glad to hear any comments on the update.

joshpurple
28-06-2013, 05:01 AM
Just checking in on the thread again (bump :) ). There's been an update from Vray, and an update for HairFarm, -both updates for working with each other.

phoenix4
19-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Hi Everyone,

Yes I purchased HairFarm 'too early' also, thinking it would work with Vray, so I have to pay for the update.

What I want to know is, does Hairfarm work fine with Vray now in all aspects or do you still need to render out different passes and comp them together?

Also, what is the 'best' way to render out good looking hair with Harifarm and vray.

Just thinking, maybe we could post various hair techniques on a ball (similar to what Adam did earlier) so we can all get our heads around it.

Thoughts?

mindrot
19-07-2013, 10:18 PM
It has been working fine for me. Just been rendering as per usual. Been using VRay lights with GI, etc. for blonde hair. Turning GI off makes the hair dark.

metamesh
07-08-2013, 12:16 AM
hey guys, i thought I'd ask here, do you have any preferences on ornatrix vs hairfarm vs yeti ? been playing a lot with yeti lately and is great, just wondering how good are the other 2 when compared to it?

thanks!

mindrot
07-08-2013, 01:39 AM
Personally, I'm not that impressed with the results I've seen from Ornatrix. I'm using Hair-Farm myself, which is mostly really quick and easy to use. As far as I know Yeti is only available for Maya whereas Hair-Farm (and I think Ornatrix) are both only available for 3D Studio Max.

Yeti does look fantastic though as I'm thinking of moving over to Maya completely to use it. I saw our groom artists using Yeti on World War Z and was really very impressed by the results I saw.

metamesh
07-08-2013, 03:33 AM
yes, yeti is amazing. I use it and have use it for a couple of projects at work and I really liked it, too bad there's no max version, although i find myself using max less and less at home, and nothing at all at work...I just prefer rendering in max than maya that's why i was asking about hair solutions in max....but yeti is great.

mindrot
07-08-2013, 04:40 AM
Hair-farm works really well with VRay now as well (if you have the latest of both that is). Not tried much else myself I'm afraid. Tried Max's own hair setup briefly but that was scary.

metamesh
08-08-2013, 05:07 AM
Gary, do you know if the guides are topology dependant in hairfarm? so if you do ur grooming and then update the model with some new loops and stuff like that, does that transfer well to the groom?

mindrot
08-08-2013, 05:28 AM
Unfortunately not Alex - I've tried it myself and it breaks :( There might be another way around it that I don't know of.

metamesh
08-08-2013, 07:59 AM
thanks for the reply Gary, also it seems like the only way of grooming and combing is by extruding the mesh? isn't there a more standar approach to it? like a combing brush or similar? I'm trying the demo but I couldn't find a way...

mindrot
08-08-2013, 08:48 AM
There is, though I haven't used it all that much. Just apply a Hair Generate modifier to your mesh, then on top of that (below the default hair Display (WSM) modifier) add a HairMesh Brush modifier. That will give you combing options and so on...

Hope that helps :)

metamesh
08-08-2013, 12:43 PM
yeah i tried that but it worked pretty bad, i either did something wrong or it really works like s**t :)

mindrot
08-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Yeah I've only tried it on really short hair and that was okayish. I'm guessing you can assign guides to it or something. But, I think the main draw of Hair-Farm is the modelling part for longer hair.

metamesh
08-08-2013, 10:54 PM
i guess is a matter of getting used to it...i can see the benefits of using the poly extrusions for complex shapes and long hair, but also i feel more confortable using guides, I'm used to yeti and the grooming brushes and tools work really well...

mindrot
08-08-2013, 11:14 PM
I've seen some great hair done using the guides and Hair-Farm for crazy frizzy and curly long hair. Unfortunately it's not something that I've looked into.

Bigguns
18-08-2013, 06:42 PM
Matamesh: You can put a hairmesh brush(and comb a direction for the hairs ),then a hair generate ,and after a hairmesh wisp, then a kink,etc following your needs. But that is for short hair cut, for medium long to long hair cut there si no mway around, you need the hairmesh edit and extrude the strands, it's long, but it gives control. OR, you can use splines, and then put a modifier over your spline called : hair mesh extrude, and then a hairmesh generate etc.. but this last method has some draws.. you can't use a map for thr gooming or lenght etc.. since it's extruding a each hair, as a strands, experiment with it you will see, usefull for somethings ,depend what you want to do.
Also, you can use hair gravity, to help to move the hairs in certain direction, and I used it on the eyebrows to make then close to the skin.

Intervain
19-08-2013, 01:45 AM
Oh hey thanks for the gravity tip for the brows Luc, haven't thought of that.

Bigguns
19-08-2013, 05:11 PM
No problem I'm glad it helped someone :) I did it on my craig and on the latest character I did (that I can,t show for now ) and it just worked fineť

mindrot
21-08-2013, 02:15 AM
OOW! Thanks. Never thought of that. I could never get the eyebrows to behave - the hair would always stick out too far.

Bigguns
21-08-2013, 03:32 AM
Cool it helped, also, use the hair pushout, to push out the root after you put the gravity, play with it you will see :) and then I like to put a kink for the eyebrows,etc