PDA

View Full Version : Rendering efficiency and mental ray

tonytrout
08-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Hi all. I have a complex object to render consisting of 42 pipes and bits and bobs for part of the motor on a spacesuit. I need to use about 4 shading materials, rubber, titanium, plastic and ceramic for the bits of pipe, hosing and fittings.

My plan is to combine the whole object and UV unwrapped it so all 42 objects have their own space on a single UV tile. I paint a couple of maps from this for rendering, 4k diffuse, 2k spec, 1k gloss, etc out of mudbox. I extract out from the combined object, 4 objects which are really an aggregation of similar material groups, ie the hoses/rubber, pipes/titanium, fittings/plastic, fittings/ceramic while retaining the UV placement from the combined object. In Maya I use just the one set of maps and 4 aggregated objects. Each aggregated object uses only its part of the UV space of the single map.

Is this an efficient way to render in mental ray using a couple of big maps or should I just unwrap all 42 objects onto their own UV tile and paint lots of small texture maps as needed?

Kel Solaar
08-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Hi Tony,

I would go for the less textures option : it will be easier to handle on your side and you can do .map / tiled exr for mr to be happy anyway.

KS

tonytrout
08-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks Thomas :thumbsup: I had to read up on texture caching in MR to try and understand the last part of your answer :)

http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2009help/mr/manual/texcache.html

Cant say I'm too much wiser though